I just spoke with the video department of the U of I last week, sent them over a script I came up with, and talked about the timeline to get a video done and the nitty gritty details. There are so many hand held options these days with phone apps, computer programs, and digital media, we can all create our own video, but how impactful are those videos? My goal was to put out a short video on the program to help the 4-H community better conceptualize what this program has to offer and how it can be an easy fit. What the program requires of 4-H and if it will fit is a current obstacle for the program.
What do you do even if you know nothing about making anything other than a YouTube video? I googled "how to write a script", and came up with some doable options. The who, what, why, where still applied just like writing a press release (which most AmeriCorps members have done dozens of times). One thing not to do is insert quotes into your script. I thought if I had a general idea of what someone might say I could add it into the script. The video department cut that right out, I'm pretty sure they were laughing.
In terms of equipment-- since the video department costs too much to record it themselves, is a digital camera with movie mode that downloads into a computer. The other is a recorder app from your cell phone, though it would be possible to just use the camera, but the voice over reading the script is easier pieced together over the entire film if its a separate file. High resolution photos are easy to find, so you source them, rather than having the video department source them (time is money). I'll be using my supervisors personal equipment, which is more than generous. He has all the toys.
The cost will be $300, maybe less for a 1-2 minute video. I expect our program to cover some of the cost, I will cover the rest out of my own pocket. YES, I've done this for years in the nonprofit sector- just pay for it myself and write it off on my taxes. Plus, my kids will be in the video and they think they're famous now.
More to come on this process-- will be recording my voice soon, UGH!!

No comments:
Post a Comment