I love spending time in nature. It grounds, fulfills and energizes me. It keeps my priorities straight. Quick question though: How long do you spend on an email? I've had a boss who would spend days drafting one email, just to have the person on the other end frustrated that he hadn't heard back, and while I was working in PR for the organization had to smooth over those relationships. I know a week is too long to draw up an email, but in this fast paced media world are we meant to get it done right, get it done fast, or get it perfect not worrying about time? What I worry about is my health, nature, my children. Drafting emails and correspondence over hours doesn't seem to correlate too much to those priorities. Just to be fair I've come under fire by one board member for the apparent errors in some of my emails at the same job where my boss was under fire for lacking relationships in the community. What's more important really? Ok, all of it, I get it. I just know no matter how much time I spend on an email or memo, it will never be perfect. Writing in AMA format is not a skill of mine. NOT. The more time I spend the more convoluted it looks and sounds anyway. I can predict with full certainty in fast paced business where folks get things done long emails will be a thing of the past. I predict short texts, with our without emoji's, that get the job done, the point across, and the gist of it is enough to move past the bureaucratic red tape. Or maybe it just gets worse? Maybe 27 people need to read over one email- I hope the computer is smart enough to do that for us soon. Off to nature this weekend. PS: the email I sent today I'd give it a 2 out of 10, and that's with 2 hours of revision! See you on the slopes.

No comments:
Post a Comment